Blog |

Exploring the Twin Cities

Hear from Built for Zero staff and community members in Minneapolis and St. Paul about what to see, do, and eat at this fall's Learning Session host city.
  |  September 26, 2024

Welcome to the Twin Cities! As we gear up for the Fall Learning Session, we’re thrilled to invite you to Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, a metropolitan duo celebrated for their rich culture, stunning natural landscapes, and vibrant community spirit. Dive into our guide to discover why the Twin Cities are the perfect backdrop for connection, learning, and discovery.

Save your spot

Join us from November 13 – 15 to connect with BFZ community members and leaders from across the nation, engage with expert-led sessions, and experience everything the Twin Cities has to offer.

What are the Twin Cities known for?

“For Minneapolis, it is probably Prince, snow, and the lakes. Probably in that order.”

– David Hewitt, Director of Housing Stability, Hennepin County

Its proximity to nature. The Cities have the highest per capita parks in the nation and some of the best bike transportation. It has a lot of cultural diversity — in food, events, and neighborhoods — thanks to our welcoming nature. We have a great art and music scene. But of course, it’s probably the most known for the cold, though I always try to convince people it’s not that bad if they’re prepared with gloves, hats, good boots, and a vest (the vest under the winter coat is the secret to enjoying the cold).”

– Staff members at Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans (MACV)

COLD! And lots of lakes…”

– Olivia Haidos, Principal Planning Analyst – Office to End Homelessness, Office of Housing Stability

First Ave, cold winters, and the Vikings.”

– Danielle Werder, Sr. Department Administrator – Office to End Homelessness, Office of Housing Stability

Prince! I encourage attendees to check out Paisley Park (Prince’s home studio) or his gold star at First Ave. Unfortunately, I think we are also known for the Mall of America (MOA). I avoid the place, but it is pretty cool that there is a rollercoaster in the middle of the mall!”

– Marney Thomas, System Improvement Advisor, Built for Zero
One of the many beautiful lakes across the Twin Cities.

What’s the difference between St. Paul and Minneapolis?

“Well, I’m biased but one is much better than the other (sorry St Paul colleagues).”

“Those that were born and raised here are intensely Team Minneapolis or Team St. Paul — but I’m not from here and see no reason to not love them both. 🙂

“Minneapolis is bigger with a little more vibrancy around community events, restaurants, sports, etc.”

– Danielle Werder, Sr. Department Administrator – Office to End Homelessness, Office of Housing Stability

“The two cities are separated by the Mississippi River, and are not that different from one another other than Minneapolis being the cooler, younger sibling.

What’s your favorite thing about where you live?

“Walking the dog along tree-lined streets to one of the aforementioned lakes.”

“The nature and cultural diversity.

“It has the feel of a city, but not so many people that it feels clogged and overwhelming. Also love having defined seasons.”

– Olivia Haidos, Principal Planning Analyst – Office to End Homelessness, Office of Housing Stability

“The parks, lakes, and rivers. Wonderful restaurants and breweries.”

“I live in Minneapolis and my favorite things are the lakes, the art scene, the small town feel, and the people.”

What’s something visitors to the Twin Cities should know before coming?

“If you really want to enjoy the Cities in November — bring your warm gear. But if you don’t, don’t worry — there’s a Skyway throughout downtown Minneapolis so you never have to go.”

“There’s something for everyone — art, food, music, nature!”

“People are very friendly so be open to exploring and seeing all the Cities have to offer!”

Check the weather before you pack! The weather in November is unpredictable.”

The Twin Cities in the winter. Image by Hal Tearse from Pixabay

Can you recommend a favorite bar/restaurant/site for Learning Session attendees to check out when they’re not in the conference?

“I live walking distance to both the Walker Art Center and the Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA) and recommend both highly. The MIA is also right by a stretch of Nicollet Avenue known as ‘Eat Street’ which, as the name implies, has a lot of good restaurant options.”

“Great restaurants — Gai Noi and Owamni.  Visit the Walker Art Sculpture Garden. Pick a lake, any lake, and walk around it!”

“Best burgers: Matt’s Bar has famous burgers
My favorite restaurant: Hai Hai in Northeast
Favorite brewery: Utpils and Wild Minds

“The Uptown neighborhood has many lively bars, the Up-Down is a great arcade bar. North Loop has a great chill and trendy scene. Vegas Lounge in the Northeast neighborhood has karaoke every night (cash only!). Red Rabbit, Red Cow, and Pizza Luce are three prized restaurants throughout the Cities. Malcolm Yard is a warehouse with a rotating group of restaurants to try all at once. The Minneapolis Institute of Art is free and incredible. Alternative, Walker Art Center is not free, but equally awesome — their sculpture garden is where you’ll find the giant Cherry and Spoon. Midtown Global Market is a great cultural location. Can Can Wonderland in St. Paul is the best indoor putt putt golf you’ll ever find.”

Walker Art Center, Owanmi, Guthrie Theater (even if you can’t see a show, go to see the skyline over the Mississippi).”

Christopher Bahn, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

What’s a fun or interesting fact about your city?

“St. Paul was originally called ‘Pig’s Eye‘ after a bootlegger. The reason downtown St. Paul makes little sense in its layout is because the original city planner believed bikes were the way of the future for American transportation, and the city was built to accommodate bikes. Unfortunately, when cars became the dominant mode of transportation — the streets no longer made sense.

Also, the first bridge to ever span the Mississippi River was Hennepin Ave. Bridge in Minneapolis in 1855. The streets in Northeast MPLS are named in order of the Presidents — it’s said that this was done to help immigrants with their Citizenship Test (but that might just be a fun story).”

“There is live music available every night — it’s just a matter of where and who.”

“Minneapolis is home to the Jucy Lucy, and there is an ongoing feud between Matt’s Bar and the 5-8 Club as to who invented the burger. I don’t know who invented it, but Matt’s Bar makes the better burger in my opinion!”

Spoonbridge and Cherry Fountain in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. Image by Vladey Meer from Pixabay

What’s one thing you’re really proud of or love about living in the Twin Cities?

“One thing I love about living in the Twin Cities is its bike-friendliness and public transport. Growing up and living in London I never learnt to drive. I assumed I would have to when I moved here but I’m eight years in Minneapolis and still have never been behind the wheel of a car.”

“It’s a beautiful community that is progressive and welcoming.”

It’s lowkey the Best of the Midwest. Fall is stunning and despite the sometimes six-month long winters — Minnesotans will still do everything they can to enjoy their surroundings and will always try to help their neighbors that get stuck in the snow.”

“Honestly, it’s just the best place to live! I’m so excited that so many people across the U.S. will be able to visit here for the first time.

Fall Learning Session

Registrations closes soon! Reserve your spot to join us in the Twin Cities, November 13 – 15, 2024.

CLOSE